IMPORTANT CLARKESVILLE (AND DUMDUMS RELATED) ANNOUNCEMENT!

All news and announcements (both DDs related and not) will be posted in this forum. Old announcements will also be archived here.

Moderators: Mark Everclear, TEXAS, Phoenix Ferret, Sal

IMPORTANT CLARKESVILLE (AND DUMDUMS RELATED) ANNOUNCEMENT!

Postby James » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:50 pm

Michael Clarke wrote:Hello all...........

It's been a while. Too long perhaps. I hope you will forgive me for not using my email account nearly enough over the last couple of years. Every so often James (our webmaster) kicks me in the ass and gets me to write something. But I shouldn't need reminding.

No doubt you noticed that life in the world of Clarkesville has been a little on the quiet side over the last few months. To quote an old label-mate, let me fill you in. In the summer of 2004, Telstar Records (part owners of Wildstar) went into receivership. Obviously, this had a dramatic effect on all the company's acts, including Clarkesville. While I waited for the remaining months of my contract to pass, there was a definite sense of change on the horizon.

It was around this time that Steve and I began to think seriously about 'what next'... We had already been working on new material since the start of the year, and we were both excited about the songs and the response we were getting from managers, producers and friends. The first sign of things to come was our decision to invite a dear friend to move to Birmingham and join the band. I'm happy to say he didn't hesitate in giving us an answer. Stuart moved up almost immediately and just crashed on floors for the first couple of months. We started jamming and things felt great from the outset. Steve and Stuart instantly reconnected as a rhythm section. I was fortunate enough to have toured with Stu a year or so earlier, so I too had a good understanding of his playing. We were all on the same page.

We started writing and recording together. We were discovering the potential of the diversity we had. Steve and Stu came essentially from a grunge background and have always shown an in depth appreciation of many differing styles. I was starting to get into groups like Pearl Jam. I was inspired by their incredible ability to combine great poetry with both mellow and heavy musical backdrops. I was also still in love with indie bands like The Flaming Lips and I Am Kloot, who I continue to champion as one of the most under-rated bands of the last few years.

So things were good, if somewhat incomplete. We needed a fourth member. A lead guitarist. Anyone who has been in a band will know how important chemistry is. We actually knew loads of guitarists, but not many who would have fitted in. I didn't want to hold auditions again, because you can't possibly discover enough about a person in the twenty odd minutes you get with them. For this reason we were delighted when Greg Lake became the fourth and final band member. We were already good friends with Greg from the time he had spent playing with Sonara, so it instantly felt great being in a rehearsal room together. The picture was complete.

Since then (barring a couple of weeks off over Christmas) we have been writing and rehearsing in a not-so-secret location in Birmingham. We have appeared live just once since Greg joined, at The Rescue Rooms in Nottingham. Thanks to everyone who came. Over the coming months we intend to be much more frequent in our appearances, starting with tomorrow's gig at The Actress And Bishop in Birmingham. We hope to see you there.

Now that all this has been said, I suppose it feels like the opportune moment to make an announcement. It is with much gratitude to all of our fans and friends for all the love and support that we have received at each stage of our journey that I announce the end of Clarkesville. I will always be proud of what I have achieved under this name, the highlights being our success in Japan, supporting the likes of Sheryl Crow and The Polyphonic Spree and hell, just having my album in the shops! At times I will perhaps wonder how things might have been had we
made different decisions along the way, or had our record company not collapsed. But in closing the curtain on what has for the most part been an enjoyable experience, I am pleased to announce the birth of an all new project. Tomorrow's gig will be the first appearance of 'The Deciphers'. This is not so much a name change as it is a whole new band. And I think I speak for everyone involved when I say that the feeling right now is one of excitement. I certainly haven't felt this driven in a long time. Long may it continue.

Please check out the temporary website we have up at www.thedeciphers.com for info on all the upoming gigs. We are in the process of building a new site which will be online in the coming weeks...and remember to stop by the message board and say hi!

God bless, and speak soon (I have broadband now, so there's no excuse!)

Michael
I'm not Jesus, but I've got the same initials.
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby Broken Star » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:52 pm

The Deciphers is a cool name.

Everyone come to see The Deciphers and Threadbear at Loughborough Uni in MArch please.
...I know I Believe in Nothing but it is MY Nothing...

http://www.marcburrows.co.uk
My original Dum Dums interview, March 2000
Broken Star
Dum Dum

Postby James » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:53 pm

I'll be sending you logos etc. in the next couple of days Mr Burrow ;)
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby behooved girl » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:03 pm

i wish i could go to tomrrows's gig :(
Top Weekly Artists:
behooved girl
Dum Dum

Postby maz » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:06 pm

i saw that coming. and i agree, the deciphers is a good name.
maz
Dum Dum

Postby Barney » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:08 pm

yep i am loving the new name
Barney
Dum Dum

Postby Lucy-j » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:16 am

behooved girl wrote:i wish i could go to tomrrows's gig :(

Ditto. :( xx
Lucy-j
Dum Dum

Postby Beth » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:05 pm

Broken Star wrote:The Deciphers is a cool name.

Everyone come to see The Deciphers and Threadbear at Loughborough Uni in MArch please.

i think i am! if i have enough doshage. the boyfriend might be coming too. but he doesn't know it yet. haha.
Beth
Dum Dum

Postby Alisha » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:31 pm

Bloody 'The' bands.

love Alice
"Be the Change You Want to See in the World"

Check out my blog www.dance-like.blogspot.com
Alisha
Dum Dum

Postby Roo » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:31 pm

[Content removed]
Last edited by Roo on Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roo
Dum Dum

Postby Ali » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:59 pm

I like that name :)
Ali
Dum Dum

Postby Space Cowgirl » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:25 pm

woah. heavy. i was just thinking today it must've been about a year since i last saw Clarkesville (was the Water Rats gig in Feb last year?) and now i won't see them again. it'll take some getting used to but i like it. it's the end of era but the beginning of an exciting new one :) bring on The Deciphers! i wish i was going to see them tonight.
Space Cowgirl
Dum Dum

Postby behooved girl » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:57 pm

Space Cowgirl wrote:heavy.

marty!
Top Weekly Artists:
behooved girl
Dum Dum

Postby Space Cowgirl » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:04 pm

behooved girl wrote:
Space Cowgirl wrote:heavy.

marty!

i'm watching it this very second :p
Space Cowgirl
Dum Dum

Postby Lindz Delirium » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:37 am

The Deciphers.......I like it, and the new demos are fabbage too! :D
Paranoid, and hallucinating, I haven't the faintest idea who you are......

Click click click click click...click himself under......Image
Lindz Delirium
Dum Dum

Postby Alison » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:43 am

awwh. i never got to see clarkesville as clarkesville.

saw michael on his own though for 3 songs. 'twas good.
Alison

Postby Matt » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:28 am

Am I confused? How is this Dum Dums related?
=+=+ dos locos +=+=
Matt
Dum Dum

Location: Somewhere on a plane between San Francisco and Boston.

Postby Alison » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:35 am

because steve and stu are in the deciphers.
Alison

Postby Matt » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:25 am

Yeah, I know... but.. they were in Clarkesville too, right?

I dunno, I thought maybe it was something about the band, not about the members, sans Josh.
=+=+ dos locos +=+=
Matt
Dum Dum

Postby Ali » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:37 am

Matt wrote:Yeah, I know... but.. they were in Clarkesville too, right?

I dunno, I thought maybe it was something about the band, not about the members, sans Josh.

Yes which is why it said Clarkesville related and then in brackets Dumdums. Some people, who dont like Clarkesville, may like to know what the guys are up to.
Ali
Dum Dum

Postby Anna » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:27 pm

Ali wrote:
Matt wrote:Yeah, I know... but.. they were in Clarkesville too, right?

Yes which is why it said Clarkesville related and then in brackets Dumdums. Some people, who dont like Clarkesville, may like to know what the guys are up to.

Well...it said Clarkesville announcement and Dum Dums related ;) It kind of goes without saying now I think that Clarkesville announcements are Dum Dums related, and it's hardly something to quibble over, Matt!
Gimme your Pile and gimme your tail.

I live in New York, and I was thinking about the lagoon in Central Park, down near Central Park South. I was wondering if it would be frozen over when I got home, and if it was, where did the ducks go. I was wondering where the ducks went when the lagoon got all icy and frozen over. I wondered if some guy came in a truck and took them away to a zoo or something. Or if they just flew away.
Anna
Dum Dum

Postby chloe55 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:26 pm

oh for god's sake don't be starting this sort of argument again. of course it's dum dums related because steve and stuart were, incase you're unaware, 2/3 of the dum dums, and this is the band they are currently playing in. thus, related. end of.
chloe55
Dum Dum

Postby Mark Everclear » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:06 am

chloe55 wrote:oh for god's sake don't be starting this sort of argument again. of course it's dum dums related because steve and stuart were, incase you're unaware, 2/3 of the dum dums, and this is the band they are currently playing in. thus, related. end of.

i think it was just matt, hoping for a fight ;)
Mark Everclear
Dum Dum

Postby Matt » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:35 am

no fight wanted.

i just got my hopes up, i guess.
=+=+ dos locos +=+=
Matt
Dum Dum

Postby Matt » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:39 am

chloe55 wrote:oh for god's sake don't be starting this sort of argument again. of course it's dum dums related because steve and stuart were, incase you're unaware, 2/3 of the dum dums, and this is the band they are currently playing in. thus, related. end of.

did we have this before? i don't remember this..
=+=+ dos locos +=+=
Matt
Dum Dum

Postby sparky22 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:52 am

It was probably me that time!
sparky22
Dum Dum

Postby James » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:46 am

Incidentaly, I think Sparky will like The Deciphers....they have the spirit of Foo within them!
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:47 am

I'm been thinking about this... I think of Josh, Stu and Steve as 'the Dum Dums', but seperately, they're themselves.

Good to see they're all doing stuff though, and that's all I say on the matter
=+=+ dos locos +=+=
Matt
Dum Dum

Postby liddleruth » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:50 am

James wrote:....they have the spirit of Foo within them!

does that mean i wont like them :?
liddleruth
Dum Dum

Postby Chrissie » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:00 pm

James wrote:...they have the spirit of Foo within them!

Really - that's excellent! I'll def like them then! :D
I have lived it up so long, I'll never live it down
Chrissie
Dummy

Next

Return to News and Announcements