THE MEETUP POST

All news and announcements (both DDs related and not) will be posted in this forum. Old announcements will also be archived here.

Moderators: Mark Everclear, TEXAS, Phoenix Ferret, Sal

Postby Alisha » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:57 pm

Having just read the above post I'd like to say that wasn't supposed to sound quite so concieted that it should all be arranged round me. I was just putting forward my opinion.

love alice
"Be the Change You Want to See in the World"

Check out my blog www.dance-like.blogspot.com
Alisha
Dum Dum

Postby behooved girl » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:05 pm

ok so lots of people want to come. but nobody who lives in any places where people are willing to travel to have any plausible ideas for where it can be held.

i had a couple of ideas, but nobody seems to have responded to them, so i guess they wont work out. i don't really know what to do anymore. nobody will travel to norwich cos the public transport lines here are shite, and don't know the areas of other parts of england at all.

the atmosphere surrounding meetups seems to have really changed on here in the past year or so since the birmingham meetup. it seems that way to me at least. i'm out of ideas. maybe it just wasn't meant to be...

maybe i can try again for august if i decide to come back here for a second year.
Top Weekly Artists:
behooved girl
Dum Dum

Postby Alisha » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:12 pm

Oh Cheryl, please don't feel like that. Please come back to England next year, you've wanted to come for so long.

As for meet ups, if I knew where I was going to be in any vague long term I would organise it in seconds but I don't. I also don't know Birmingham and we can't have a meet up in Worcester cos it's shit and with only 3 of us living anywhere near, putting people up would be hard.

Personally I cannot travel to other places for medical/family/personal reasons some of which I don't want to discuss.

Oh I dunno. Having not been to a meet up before I don't know if there is a solution.

love Alice
"Be the Change You Want to See in the World"

Check out my blog www.dance-like.blogspot.com
Alisha
Dum Dum

Postby chloe55 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:21 pm

hey i'd come to norwich..
and believe me i'd love to help actually organise something specific, i'm just completely snowed under with work, ucas stuff, new job, my own issues and various other things i'm supposed to have done and haven't and still need to do, and i think if i agreed to spend time doing one more thing my head's actually going to implode.

BUT i promise that i would come, whereverrrrr it is, as long as it was a weekend. & i'm leaving about 2 weeks after you cheryl so...before then is better for me too xx
Last edited by chloe55 on Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chloe55
Dum Dum

Postby Phoenix Ferret » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:21 pm

i thought you were doing your whole degree over here cher?
PF

np. pinback - afk
too cool to dance records
.01 - narwhal - s/t 7" SOLD OUT!
.02 - jupiter lander - s/t 7"OUT NOW!
.03 - pete the pirate squid - lp OUT NOW!
.04 - what price, wonderland? - thirty with a wink lp OUT NOW!
.05 - damezumari - 7" OUT NOW!
.06 - what price, wonderland? - is it shakey? OUT NOW!
.07 what price, wonderland? / twisted - split 7" OUT NOW!
Phoenix Ferret
Lord Of Emo

Postby Sal » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:27 pm

cheryl, at this rate... I think if you want something to actually happen any time soon, you and I should go with what I said on the phone. you know we can get a bunch of people together. I'll help organise. we could do a poll and see how many people are willing to come to somewhere anglian. if nobody comes, it's their loss. at the very least we could have a small group of us at someone's house. I'd have it down south here, but you lot are obviously more concentrated, so it makes sense to hold it somewhere there. if we did, we'd need a pub or a house or something. just a base.

otherwise, if we're going more full scale, I say get on with arranging a date and book the sunflower lounge. this will mean getting money off people and all that again, and finding places for people to stay.

all depends on demand I guess.
Sal
Dum Dum

Postby behooved girl » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:50 pm

Phoenix Ferret wrote:i thought you were doing your whole degree over here

i am. but this year hasn't been so great for me, and i'm having trouble coping being so far away from my family. plus the exchange rate is only getting worse. so i've been thinking about just moving back to california permanently, but i don't know for sure. it depends whether things pick up for me here enough to give me an incentive to come back next year.

and just so people know, i'm not blaming anybody for the lack of meetup-ness this past year or so. i know things have changed around here, and as clo said, people are getting older and have a lot more commitments in their lives now. i think i need to accept that the best days in this community are probably all in the past, and things need to move on. it still makes me sad to think about, but everything seems to be getting me down these days.

sal - where's the sunflower lounge? (feels dumb)

if anything does happen, i propose the first weekend in june. april is only right around the corner now, so it'll be too late for that. early june is possible though...
Top Weekly Artists:
behooved girl
Dum Dum

Postby sleepysheepy » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:51 pm

I would come to Norwich, if it was in the holidays. I really want to meet you Cheryl, and it's so rubbish that you're considering not coming back next year after how excited you were about coming here in the first place :( .
sleepysheepy
Dum Dum

Postby chloe55 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:52 pm

check yo uni email, cher :)xx
chloe55
Dum Dum

Postby saaboo » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:23 pm

I'll travel anywhere as long as I've got somewhere to stay and it's not a school night. I haven't been to a meetup before so I can't really help organise it, other than the fact that our phone has been cut off so I can't ring around any venues even >.<

But I really want to meet everyone and meetups seem to be getting increasingly harder to plan, it seems. Everyone's growing up and growing apart and having more commitments so I want to meet everyone now before you all disappear. I'm sure other people would feel the same.
saaboo
Dum Dum

Postby vid » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:25 pm

i want to go to a meet up too this time. boo.

though i'm not really going to be free til june-ish. if after then anything is planned i can try help organise aswell, even though i don't really know what it entails.
vid
Dum Dum

Postby Abi » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:34 pm

Stop making me cry!

I'll come anywhere....if people want me to..heh.

This will probably sound selfish because I live quite near but what Sal said about the sunflower lounge sounds good, it was good last time and we could go to cadbury world! Free chocolate!

xxxx
.I've Got The Chicken For A Satisfied Life.
Abi
Dum Dum

Postby Anna » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:55 pm

june july.

june sucks :(
Gimme your Pile and gimme your tail.

I live in New York, and I was thinking about the lagoon in Central Park, down near Central Park South. I was wondering if it would be frozen over when I got home, and if it was, where did the ducks go. I was wondering where the ducks went when the lagoon got all icy and frozen over. I wondered if some guy came in a truck and took them away to a zoo or something. Or if they just flew away.
Anna
Dum Dum

Postby Cyril Hovercraft Whackitt » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:08 am

behooved girl wrote:where's the sunflower lounge? (feels dumb)

It's in birmingham where we had the last one!
I have no fucking clue what to put here now...
Cyril Hovercraft Whackitt
Dum Dum

Postby liddleruth » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:19 am

Abi wrote:and we could go to cadbury world! Free chocolate!

i think abi has just made a very valid point.

this has all been silly, really. really.

so, sunflower lounge, early june.
someone book it. lovely. sorted. xx
liddleruth
Dum Dum

Postby Abi » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:47 am

:D Hehe

xxxx
.I've Got The Chicken For A Satisfied Life.
Abi
Dum Dum

Postby Vezzi » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:47 pm

I still want a meetup. Yeah maybe things have changed, but I still find it a novelty to have a bunch of us meet up, espcially if someone new is there, cos it's like... the internet in real life! And that hasn't changed.

That was an irrelevant point, but yeah, I'll try to travel most places if there's somewhere for me to go, although the first weekend in june is my (and my housemates) birthday, and the end of our exams, so I really have to be here/see family and that. But don't worry about me, I'll pop up somewhere when you least expect it instead!
Vezzi
Dum Dum

Postby Rach » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:35 pm

i will come. definitely. as long as it's a weekend of course.
Rach
Dum Dum

Postby Beth » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:08 am

any weekend in june is good for me, unless it's the 25-26th cos that's when i have to leave halls by. if any nottingham people wanted to help me organise something then we could do it (roo and helen know good places. or i could just get templars again-but they aren't allowed bands) but if not sunflower lounge sounds a good idea.
Beth
Dum Dum

Postby The Wizard » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:24 pm

Well, I can't help organise this one this time, as I've got a lot of work commitments now.

However, I'm willing to be on hand for any advice that may be needed.

I'll tell you now that having someone who can actually physically GET to the venue is a MUST! Luckily Jo was able to do this for me for the last one, whilst I did all the finance/logistics etc. She was able to do the bookings and get the venue info etc.

I'll still say it's a two person job

The Sunflower Lounge cost £100 to hire for the night, which I was able to recoup (just!), through ticket sales and donations from you lovely people! I managed to get the tickets made/printed for free through my work. So long as there's enough notice, and the option to pay on the door, the members of this board (despite what some may think!) can get themselves organised quite well!!
The Wizard
Dum Dum

Postby ali_hadz » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:15 pm

Sunflower Lounge, June 10th? What do people think?

I'd be happy to help arrange it in any way I can, but would somebody nearer be willing to book it, etc?
ali_hadz
Dum Dum

Postby vid » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:19 pm

i need to find when my exams finish to see if i can go, by looking on the site, but i don't want to because i will then know when they start and panic coz i have done NO work.
hmpf.
vid
Dum Dum

Postby ali_hadz » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:20 pm

I think my exams are late May, but it's probably different in Engerland. :?
ali_hadz
Dum Dum

Postby behooved girl » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:53 pm

i think june 10th at the sunflower lounge sounds good. unfortunately that's the day my uni is kicking me out of halls, so i'd have to somehow get all my stuff into storage early and sort out going to the meetup at the same time *argh stress*.

my exams are all in may... hopefully it's everyone elses will be finished by the 10th of june?

thank you for your expert advice, stu. i'd be happy to sort out printing (crappy) tickets, collecting money, finance, etc. but i'd need an accomplice in birmingham who's willing to help out. :?
Top Weekly Artists:
behooved girl
Dum Dum

Postby behooved girl » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:21 pm

actually i have a feeling that it'll probably be really rubbish having it at the same place, cos it'll never live up to what the last meetup was :( i don't think i could handle being in that room.
Top Weekly Artists:
behooved girl
Dum Dum

Postby ali_hadz » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:05 pm

Personally I don't think anything could take anything away from the last one. Yes, it'd be different, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing... and it was a pretty nice venue?

I dunno though, that's just my opinion. :/
ali_hadz
Dum Dum

Postby Beth » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:47 pm

i can't make june 10th, i'm at download that day (just for the day mind, i'm not turning metal on yo asses :p). but the sunflower lounge would be ace, maybe on june 11th though? it's a saturday which might be a lot easier for everyone who works/has school/college in the week, or is that just being selfish of me?

like ali said, i don't think anything could take away from the last meet up there, but it would just be ace to have everyone in the same room again, cos it has been a long time.
Beth
Dum Dum

Postby chloe55 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:05 pm

nooo not friday. i second beth, 11th is better!
chloe55
Dum Dum

Postby ali_hadz » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:08 pm

Bleh, yes... that was just me being stupid. For some reason I thought the 10th was the Saturday... :roll:

Should we... er? copy/paste thing.

Sat June 11th
Ali Hadz
ali_hadz
Dum Dum

Postby vid » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:09 pm

ok i just checked some exam dates, i have some until the 22nd june, so i cant make it. booo.
vid
Dum Dum

PreviousNext

Return to News and Announcements