S.E. Asia Earthquake/Tsunami Aid - Please Donate Online.

All news and announcements (both DDs related and not) will be posted in this forum. Old announcements will also be archived here.

Moderators: Mark Everclear, TEXAS, Phoenix Ferret, Sal

Postby Beth » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:12 pm

i think it's really pathetic how the tories initially criticsed the amount that we pledged, over 100, 000 people have died and they want to turn this into a political slanging match. wankers. i'm sending me text to donate once i've typed this message.
Beth
Dum Dum

Postby Phoenix Ferret » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:18 pm

James wrote:Toby - The U.S. is going to donate more, Colin Powell has said that today.

how much more though? given how much they have at their disposal they should be donating at the absolute minimum £100million.
PF

np. toru okada - kiss me through the computer screen
too cool to dance records
.01 - narwhal - s/t 7" SOLD OUT!
.02 - jupiter lander - s/t 7"OUT NOW!
.03 - pete the pirate squid - lp OUT NOW!
.04 - what price, wonderland? - thirty with a wink lp OUT NOW!
.05 - damezumari - 7" OUT NOW!
.06 - what price, wonderland? - is it shakey? OUT NOW!
.07 what price, wonderland? / twisted - split 7" OUT NOW!
Phoenix Ferret
Lord Of Emo

Postby Beth » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:20 pm

i think the US should scrap george bush's inauguration ceremony and give that money to help the aid agencies. but we all know that aint gonna happen.
Beth
Dum Dum

Postby nicsta » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:08 pm

vid wrote:me and my mum donated some money, though we were wondering - we've got lots of old clothes that we've just grown out and in suitcases and my mum was wondering if there is anyway to send these over there by some charity? because i mean it may get more use ther and than just lying in a room our house.

yeah, you reminded me actually, i was gonna send loads of old toys that angel has grown out of, to Iraq, but didnt know how etc,, if anyone knows how to send them to asia or somewhere people would benifit from them then please post here cos if i can help in any way, i will. :D
CHEESEcake?? a CAKE of cheese??

if it's not one thing, it's your mother.

Im coming out of my cage, and I've been doing just fine, gotta gotta be down because i want it all....
nicsta
Dum Dum

Postby Beth » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:15 pm

we think my mum's cousin is either missing or dead. he went to thailand in september for 8 weeks with his thai girlfriend (probably mail order!!) and no one knows yet if he has returned or is still out there, he isn't answering his phone or anything. i've never met him though.
Beth
Dum Dum

Postby James » Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:58 pm

Phoenix Ferret wrote:
James wrote:Toby - The U.S. is going to donate more, Colin Powell has said that today.

how much more though? given how much they have at their disposal they should be donating at the absolute minimum £100million.
PF

np. toru okada - kiss me through the computer screen

Today they have said that they are increasing what they initially pledged by ten fold from $35 Million to $350 Million.
I'm not Jesus, but I've got the same initials.
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby James » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:00 pm

Beth wrote:we think my mum's cousin is either missing or dead. he went to thailand in september for 8 weeks with his thai girlfriend (probably mail order!!) and no one knows yet if he has returned or is still out there, he isn't answering his phone or anything. i've never met him though.

I hope everything turns out ok - from what they are saying it seems they think there's a good chance a lot of 'missing' tourists will turn up alive & well, due to the fact that it's so hard for the foreign office to track down exactly where everyone is at the moment.
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby maz » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:17 am

i donated to a collection at work.

i've almost been in tears watching the news many a time. but i just want to turn the tv off when i hear what bush has to say and what america will do. i can't bare it. i just swore at the tv as soon as the world bank and IMF were mentioned, that's the last thing s.e. asia needs.

i could rant on for ages about it coz i've just written an essay on a similar theme. basically my point is that in the way they 'rehabilitated' west europe and japan post WWII and manipulated the 'third world' to their advantage, they will do the same to extend their immense economic, political, cultural and military power all for their financial and political benefit.

really can't express what i want to say or how angry i am.
maz
Dum Dum

Postby patti » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:00 am

i was told today by my parents that it was inappropriate to e mail people about where to donate.....as per james's post!

i thought i was being helpful and i was told it was entirely inappropriate and partonising as most people will have done so anyway!!!

even so....i didn't know where to do it online until this post!
patti
Dum Dum

Postby liddleruth » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:40 am

patti wrote:i was told today by my parents that it was inappropriate to e mail people about where to donate.....as per james's post!

i thought i was being helpful and i was told it was entirely inappropriate and partonising as most people will have done so anyway!!!

even so....i didn't know where to do it online until this post!

i put it on a couple of message board, but changed it to "if you dont know how to donate & are wanting to, here" type thing. taking out the pleaseythankyou bits. because you're not making an appeal, you're just passing on information, innit. xx
liddleruth
Dum Dum

Postby cartilage » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:48 am

patti i think your parents are just wrong.... by which i mean no offence, but people have just as much choice if you tell them where to donate as to whether to do so or not as they do if you don't.

and when i was trying to find out how to donate online it would've been well helpful to have had someone email me about it.
cartilage
Dum Dum

Postby James » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:53 am

I think the thing here is that when I first thought about doing this it was the evening before I posted here (Dec 29th) and there wasn't a lot of talk of the public donating by then because it was only 3 days after it happened and the full scale of events were only just becoming obvious.

On the evening of the 29th I decided to donate something myself and it wasn't immediately obvious how to donate, who do donate to, or where you could do it - the news channels on TV weren't plugging it like they were a day or so later, so I didn't some seaching on Google and in fact it was only during that day that amazon.com and musicrelief.org set their donation schemes up...

So later in the evening I emailed all the bands I work with asking for their permission to send out an email to their respective mailing lists informing people of where they could donate and also actively ENCOURAGING people to donate. I guess whether or not you think asking people to donate is appropriate or not is a personal choice, but I took it upon myslef to help in whatever way I could and this seemed the best way I could tell as many people as possible how they could help and where they could donate. I also know that hearing this message coming from a band(s) or artist who you like might encourage people who wouldn't normally donate to do so - especially younger people who don't have as much disposable income as adults.

That's why I added the SMS donation number, because it's a great way for you people to donate something, however small.

I was also touched by Patti's comment about talking to her son about donating his pocket money. I think for me and I guess lots of other people it's been a real eye opener, it's not often we see such a show of unity and generosity from people of different backgrounds, religions, countries etc. Maybe it's due to the time of year, or maybe it's due to the media coverage being so hi-tech that people are seeing it almost as it happens, but whatever the reason, the fact the the public in the UK have matched, then out donated what the government has donated is amazing.

If this was 10, 15, 20 years ago the media coverage would have been much less intense, things like the internet wouldn't have played such a part and subsequently less people would be aware and less people would be donating.

I guess what this rant is trying to sum up is that it is NEVER wrong to encourage others to help people less fortunate than themselves.
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby Alisha » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:08 pm

I kind of understand America being slightly cautious about donating shit loads on the grounds that they are on the verge of economic ruin!

There was a collection at work yesterday so I put all my tips in which was about £6.

love Alice
"Be the Change You Want to See in the World"

Check out my blog www.dance-like.blogspot.com
Alisha
Dum Dum

Postby Steffy » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:48 pm

For whoever it was who asked if and where clothes, toys etc. could be donated for the victims of the earthquake/tsunami in South East Asia you can get in touch with the relevant organisations on:

www.bluewater.co.uk/home/whats-going-on ... w-to-help-

This web site hold a list of other web addresses for you to browse to find the easiest option for you to help.

I've donated money clothes and my sons old toys via this site.

Steph
xx
Steffy
Dummy

Postby Barney » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:15 am

we have donated already but was speaking with my friend today and she was talking to a sales assistant in Next to Nothing or Next Clearance as it is now called ( where all the sale stuff goes from Next ) and she said that the previous sales stuff which is reduced, if it is not sold they just throw out.

She asked them if they would send it to help victims of the Tsunami and she said they won't do that.

She was really angry and she is going to email Next and ask them to donate the clothes they are throwing out to the Tsunami victims

Does anyone know of any charity that are sending clothes, cos I may email them myself and then if a few people do it they may get the picture

( don't know Next's email address yet, will try and find it on search engine)
Barney
Dum Dum

Postby puddleduck » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:32 am

I'm going to Oxfam tomorrow to take clothes and shoes that everyone in our house is donating to see if they are sending them over. They most likely will be, or will be able to let me know how I can send them, I'll let you know.
puddleduck
Dum Dum

Postby kim_who_lvz_stu » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:43 am

Barney wrote:
She asked them if they would send it to help victims of the Tsunami and she said they won't do that.

pilot always send stuff to asia countries when its been in stock for so long. and i know topshop do the same thing. although what on earth people out there are going to do with size 16 mini skirts and sparkly boob tubes i really don't know. but at least some companies try. its pretty wrong that next won't even make an exception.
kim_who_lvz_stu
Dum Dum

Previous

Return to News and Announcements