Napster Launched in the UK!

All news and announcements (both DDs related and not) will be posted in this forum. Old announcements will also be archived here.

Moderators: Mark Everclear, TEXAS, Phoenix Ferret, Sal

Napster Launched in the UK!

Postby James » Thu May 20, 2004 1:24 pm

Good news - iTunes will have to get a move on now as well!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3728777.stm

http://www.napster.co.uk/
Last edited by James on Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not Jesus, but I've got the same initials.
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby Anna » Thu May 20, 2004 1:28 pm

Have fun without your iPod using Napster then James :p

iTunes is due for a June launch, apparently.
Gimme your Pile and gimme your tail.

I live in New York, and I was thinking about the lagoon in Central Park, down near Central Park South. I was wondering if it would be frozen over when I got home, and if it was, where did the ducks go. I was wondering where the ducks went when the lagoon got all icy and frozen over. I wondered if some guy came in a truck and took them away to a zoo or something. Or if they just flew away.
Anna
Dum Dum

Postby Phoenix Ferret » Thu May 20, 2004 1:29 pm

99p a song? my arse! [/ricky tomlinson]
PF
Phoenix Ferret
Lord Of Emo

Postby James » Thu May 20, 2004 1:30 pm

I'm more pleased cause this puts the pressure on iTunes, they won't want to loose out to Napster.

But I'm sure I'll be able to find a way around that pesky WMA DRM and convert files...!
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby Anna » Thu May 20, 2004 1:37 pm

nme.com wrote:Speaking at the conference were Ash bass player Mark Hamilton and drummer Rick McMurray.

What were Ash doing there? Mark's my Apple using exception! :(
Gimme your Pile and gimme your tail.

I live in New York, and I was thinking about the lagoon in Central Park, down near Central Park South. I was wondering if it would be frozen over when I got home, and if it was, where did the ducks go. I was wondering where the ducks went when the lagoon got all icy and frozen over. I wondered if some guy came in a truck and took them away to a zoo or something. Or if they just flew away.
Anna
Dum Dum

Postby Cab » Thu May 20, 2004 3:33 pm

with mds you can record from anywhere whics makes them better then ipods
Cab
Dummy

Postby James » Thu May 20, 2004 3:38 pm

Mini Disc? But it's not a digital copy if you stick it in the back of your PC using a jack lead!

And they can't hold ANYWHERE near as much as an iPod, even the 1 gig discs they're bringing out - you'd still have to carry around the player & 40 discs, instead of just an iPod!

Also Firewire (which iPods use) is much quicker for putting stuff onto than USB!

Mini Disc will always be good for certain things, but as protable personal music players they've been super-seeded now!
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby chloe55 » Thu May 20, 2004 4:01 pm

james! woah! exclamation marks!

;)
chloe55
Dum Dum

Postby TEXAS » Thu May 20, 2004 4:04 pm

james likes exclamation marks. but only 1, 3 or 5.
TEXAS
Dum Dum

Postby Matt » Thu May 20, 2004 5:32 pm

James,

I actually don't intend to use DRM at all. I've used iTunes, and while its nice, I just can't bring myself to pretend I own digital files that have a license that can be revoked at any moment.

Remember with Napster or iTunes, you don't own your music, you own a license to have some files on your computer.

http://www.downhillbattle.org/napster/

matt
=+=+ dos locos +=+=
Matt
Dum Dum

Location: Somewhere on a plane between San Francisco and Boston.

Postby James » Thu May 20, 2004 5:37 pm

True - but they're not going to invoke the licences all of a sudden are they? And surely once it's on CD/portable device this can't be affected?

Edit: Just read that artivle Matt, have been meaning to look at that site for a while.

It raises some very good point about the music industry in general & as they say, they're not going after iTunes/Napster, but the whole way the industry is run.

Unfortunatley for people who want music form bands signed to majors, there's not a whole lot of other options...'illegal' P2P is dying slowly, just take alook at how shit Kazaa is compared to a couple of years ago!
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Thu May 20, 2004 7:25 pm

Can't say I've ever used Kazaa, but I've used the network.

I think that we need to put an end to the cartel of the majors, though... not buy their music, even from bands that are okay (for example, I'll not buy another Radiohead album, and haven't bought the last two)

Independent music needs our support, and the only way it seems that the majors can be broken is to copy buying CDs, filesharing and making copies for people.

See, I'd happily write out a check for 10 quid to each member of a band I really like, and just download their music from dubious sources.

There is money in independent music, CD baby has paid over 10 million dollars to artists now.
=+=+ dos locos +=+=
Matt
Dum Dum

Postby Phoenix Ferret » Fri May 21, 2004 1:52 am

i'm quite glad 99% of the music i buy now isn't on major labels, makes life much easier
PF
Phoenix Ferret
Lord Of Emo

Postby Matt » Fri May 21, 2004 8:46 pm

Phoenix Ferret wrote:i'm quite glad 99% of the music i buy now isn't on major labels, makes life much easier

Toby, PM me your postal address, I have a badge for you.
=+=+ dos locos +=+=
Matt
Dum Dum

Postby James » Fri May 21, 2004 8:58 pm

Matt wrote:See, I'd happily write out a check for 10 quid to each member of a band I really like, and just download their music from dubious sources.

Problem is - not everyne has that opinion, the majority will get as much as they can for free regardless!

Also, I'd never not buy an album by a band I like, just to spite major labels - they're not ALL bad. Sure it's not an ideal situation, but when is anything an ideal situation when big money is involved!?!
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby Mark Everclear » Fri May 21, 2004 10:59 pm

if i'm going to spend a tenner on an album, i'd much rather get it from amazon, play, cd-wow etc than download the mp3s. that way you get the full artwork and a real uncompressed copy of the music that you can do anything with.
Mark Everclear
Dum Dum

Postby Matt » Fri May 21, 2004 11:10 pm

James, I think the only way we can end the shit deal that the music industry gives to artists is to bankrupt the labels.

We can secure a good deal for artists then.
=+=+ dos locos +=+=
Matt
Dum Dum

Return to News and Announcements