Message From Josh re: Meetup...

All news and announcements (both DDs related and not) will be posted in this forum. Old announcements will also be archived here.

Moderators: Mark Everclear, TEXAS, Phoenix Ferret, Sal

Message From Josh re: Meetup...

Postby James » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:56 pm

Those not there can see now, those there will be reading soon:

A MESSAGE FROM JOSH…

Dear one and all,

I know that this whole dumdums bored thing has taken on a new life now that the band is two and a half years gone, but as the founder of the band and part of three people responsible for what became of our project I want to say thanks for keeping the soul of the band alive.
I came up for the idea and the name of the band back in Ashford while I was in the lower sixth, in another band called Prophet (some of you have the first e.p - just like the dums, the second unreleased album was much heavier and better--- do you see a pattern forming? Afraid of success? you'll have to ask my shrink, Commander and Chief Dr. Happy the Unicorn who lives in my mailbox). Uh yeah The idea was actually to do one album for the pop crowd singing about the sort of things that the bands I was into like Pearl Jam were singing about. Also there was a heavy influence of the Beach Boys Pet Sounds album - the way it helped me through that time in my life - I wanted to make an album that helped people through that time in their life, school and uni, going out into the world alone, but make it accessible to people who werent into grunge and Pet Sounds.
So I met Stu at uni as you all know and contacted Steve who had known me from my Prophet days - we were mates and pen pals and he had come down to stay on the national express in his long straight hair like nuno bettencourt haha. The reason I made friends with him was cause he was wearing a pearl jam tshirt at this christian festival (the kingston festival) we were playing at!! With my mohawk we must have looked like the resident site drug dealers!!
Well me and Stu did our original demo - under the name Josh Doyle - The Politics of Teenage Romance - which is the one with the brass cant get you out of my thoughts (plus miniature james dean and julie gives her heart away) it all had a very distinct pet sounds vibe. We were given studio time through our managers Mickey Modern and Mark Wood from the generosity of Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics and hooked up with Steve to record songs such as 'she will forever be my girl' ' looking for the girl' ' without a girl' 'nightclub' ' casanova' and surely some others with girl in the title. And from there we practised and practised staying at Stu's mum and dads in Horley and played gigs and gigs until we were ready to be unleashed on the world.
I got married in May 1998 and we were signed in December 1998 - after a hard year of working to get enough money to travel to practise and eat and then working more to get to gigs where Steve would drive his little car full up with us and our gear and sometimes James. Yes we got very close. The significance of this is that we had no money and we were about to chuck it all in. I had put a deadline on getting signed because you know I had rent to pay and responsibilities my new wife was having to take care of mostly, with me temping. And the deadline was the new year. We were all struggling, but we pulled through just in the nick of time, with a lot of prayer and hard work and sweating it out.
You're like "where is he going with all this?" Well theres stuff here that hasnt really been said and since you're all here its cool that you learn about this stuff. Well im not going to go on anymore anyway, just to say that we toured, got an album recorded, put a single out as a sampler hoping it got into maybe the top 40 to get our name out there - then radio one put it on the A list, it got up to the top 20 and it all went off from there. Radio One didnt even play our second song once (which is how to kill an indie band) but it got even higher in the charts, and got us out there to meet all of you and do some good.
We got to the point where we could have really sold out and been Busted. Some people still wish we would have gone that route. We were offered things like our own television show, the eurovision song contest, the smash hits tour, to pose nude for cosmopolitan, but instead we opted for the road less travelled - the much harder way - we lived out what we believed in. One of the most appropriate reviews we ever had was from respected veteran nme critic stephen wells - the proper critics who could see past the superficial saw we were good. He said we had c -sides most indie bands would kill for. He made the point that we were quality but because we didnt sell out completely to pop and we didnt ghettoise ourselves to fit in with the elitist indie crowd we would never be the huge band that we could have been.
But we did well enough and I think its better that we werent super pop number ones because of the quality of following we had. You can put out number one pop records and be forgotten in two years. We changed peoples lives - i have kept all the letters - hundreds and hundreds of them, and remember the thousands and thousands of emails and messages. You may be a small crowd tonight but you are representative of thousands of others over this country and over this world. A lot of people really 'got' us - there are many out there that still remember. But you're here tonight and I thank you for the impact you've had on my life by keeping us alive in your hearts - I need as much encouragement and positivity as possible as it is a hard road back. But I'm coming back tougher and I'm coming back with something to say. I've worked hard and I am determined to make music that changes peoples lives and means something important over here in America and when I come back to the U.K.
Me, Stu and Steve are all on good terms. I cant speak for them but I can say its incredibly flattering that you guys are here, every single person and it encourages me that I can do something worthwhile and that I have the talent to succeed again and connect with people through the music. I'm sure Steve and Stu feel the same. And thanks so much to James for his hard work on the message bored and all that have helped out - its your world now, and youre a good bunch of people. Find where James is and go up and touch him right now. He will love it
So I hope you all have a good time - hope THE REAL McFly rock out - I want to see the video definitely

So, still not joining any systems, trying to hop aboard various circuses,
Until next time, Peace out, Josh.

P.S
I love to say this but really, who can say they played 200 gigs in one year, playing a schools tour, one gig at an INFANTS SCHOOL (where lonely hearts company was significantly butchered from a suicidal friends loving song to an anti smoking manifesto -"i dont like to smoke cause smoking's bad and you should never smoke cause it is sad") and also having the priviledge to share a stage with Flaming Lips, Supergrass, Wheat, the Bloodhound Gang, Steps, S club 7, Blink 182, Mariah Carey, Robbie Williams, My Life story, Younger younger 28s, Fungus, Clarkesville, Wheatus, Five, Kylie, Geri halliwell, Lionel Richie, The Backstreet Boys, Elton John, The Pete Best, (add the other bands in this space) - What band can show as diverse a crowd as this? Being sandwiched between Queen (Bryan May told our guitar tech that we rocked) and Bon Jovi. Playing in front of 200,000 people, 60,000 people, 90,000 people, Arena tours, Stadium tours, in front of 12 people at the Rock Garden, covent garden (dont try and get a gig there its a rip off), at horley baptist church, at the leeds cockpit.... Meeting Suggs who had bought our album and said he was a fan of ours, selling out our headline Shepherds Bush Empire with Grandaddy, Paul Cook of the Sex Pistols and Billie Piper in the audience. And this is scraping the surface. Really really bizarre. If you want to know what it was like to be us watch School of Rock, Lost in translation, That thing you do and This is Spinal tap on four tvs at the same time. And drink lots of hot water with honey in it.
I'm not Jesus, but I've got the same initials.
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby patti » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:19 pm

I'm not at the meet up and wish I was. It's a privilege to be part of the community here, albeit on the fringes...and thats down to Josh, Steve and Stu from being who they are...and to James for being here to keep it all going!

You all rock muchly!

Love Patti
xx
patti
Dum Dum

Re: Message From Josh re: Meetup...

Postby Cab » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:30 pm

I cant belive i mised them playing in Horley
Cab
Dummy

Postby ycs » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:35 pm

man that rocks *sigh*
ycs
Dummy

Postby jen » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:39 pm

this was very nice to read.
jen
Dummy

Postby Phoenix Ferret » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:15 pm

:)
PF
Phoenix Ferret
Lord Of Emo

Postby behooved girl » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:37 pm

i've been really down about not being able to go to this meetup, but that cheered me up a bit. :)

that was a really nice letter, with some really nice stories in it, most of which i never knew before. thank you josh.

xx
Top Weekly Artists:
behooved girl
Dum Dum

Re: Message From Josh re: Meetup...

Postby ailsa » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:38 pm

Josh wrote:We were offered things like our own television show, the eurovision song contest, the smash hits tour, to pose nude for cosmopolitan

:lol: :lol: :lol:

aw. reading all that cheered me up a lot. x
ailsa
Dum Dum

Postby psych » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:43 pm

:grin:

ooo, scary teeth
psych
Dum Dum

Postby Barney » Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:24 am

thank you so much josh for that lovely letter

people read it in the break between sets tonight at the meet up and were very moved by it as i'm sure they will tell you when they all get back home

It really felt like you were part of it all and you were there in spirit with us

thank you
Barney
Dum Dum

Postby Em » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:28 am

:) x
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity ;)
Em
Dum Dum

Postby Roo » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:07 am

I never knew most of that stuff. What Patti said, I feel so lucky to be involved in this community, even in such a tiny way.
Thankyou so much.

xx
Roo
Dum Dum

Postby louise dumdedum » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:27 pm

:D thank you josh. i couldn't go the the meetup, i got dragged to this horrible party where everyone got drunk and cried and fell out instead(i can't stand it). i always think it's amazing when i think about how well all the fans get on. it's like you attracted this very very specific market; and i'm so glad you did because these people have given me so much solace; i'm not alone anymore.

and for what it's worth, i'm so glad you split up when you did, and i'm so glad you weren't busted.

gaah.xxx
louise dumdedum
Dum Dum

Postby louise dumdedum » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:34 pm

also, what other band is this cool to their fans?

:D
louise dumdedum
Dum Dum

Postby Space Cowgirl » Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:36 pm

pretty much echoing what everyone else has said. that's a lovely message, it's really cheered me up reading that, so thankyou josh. :) i definitely feel lucky to have found the dumdums all those years ago, the music means so much to me. and being part of this close community is fantastic, and it's great how one band can bring so many people together even 2 and a half years after splitting up. it's kept me from going insane (well, nearly) in some pretty rough times. i'm getting really soppy now, but i love everyone on here.
xXx
Space Cowgirl
Dum Dum

Postby maz » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:55 pm

as soon as jo got on stage and started to tell us about the letter i just started to cry, for the first time since greenbelt.

thanks you so much for that josh, it means so much.
maz
Dum Dum

Postby Alison » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:13 pm

aw, that was lovely =)

Alison x
Alison

Postby Barney » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:19 am

maz wrote:as soon as jo got on stage and started to tell us about the letter i just started to cry, for the first time since greenbelt.

thanks you so much for that josh, it means so much.

aw bless you maz

it was really emotional i must admit and it meant alot that he'd took the time to write such a long letter especially for the meet up and the effort he put into it i think made it extra specially emotional
Barney
Dum Dum

Postby venderfan » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:43 pm

That made me remember what this band meant to me. I'm sad that I left here really I suppose. There were just some very bad memories for me on the board. But that message made me realise how special all of this is.
venderfan
Dummy

Postby kim_who_lvz_stu » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:50 pm

josh that was super x x couldn't get to the meetup but that really has made up for it quite a lot. don't know what else to say except thanks for making sure you did what you did and didn't go too far, it meat a lot to us, nd clearly still does or we wouldn't be here. so, thankyou x
kim_who_lvz_stu
Dum Dum

Postby Army_of_one » Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:10 pm

Go Josh.. you speak your mind, it rules!
I understand so much about people wanting you to have stayed on cos I'm one of them, I love you guys so much and always will and your music and influences will live on forever. If you were still around now.. you wouldn't be "Busted" you'd be WAY better.. and thats good coming from me as I am a HUGE busted fan.. dont kill me. I do think that you could've easily kicked their butt! and in my opinion you do anyway. You were more real than they will ever be.. Thats what i love about you so much.
I dont really know what im getting at here, but i just wanna say that whatever happens with your music and steve and stu's music career, i will support you always, cos you 3 changed my life in ways that i dont think anyone will ever know to the full extent. But i will stick by you..
Love always
Kaz xx

and as for the real McFLY... i LOVE McFLY.. the ones being Busted's mate... they're really nice guys.. one of em came out and kept me warm for ages cos i'd been waiting for them.. Busted didnt even stop to say hi.. ignorant, big heads!
But yeh i love McFLY i think they're great.. i have their logo tattooed on my hip :? "Her Tattoo's always hidden by her underwear.. she don't care!"
hehe anyway ill shut up now before i get shouted at or criticised for liking them.
~*~*~ Pixie Princess ~*~*~

"Rain down and wash away these lies forever,Rain down and drown the chance of us together, Rain down and cover the tears if we can, Rain down and drown the weatherman" - Maria Willson
www.mariawillson.com
your superficial, im a MISFIT!
Army_of_one
Dum Dum

Postby chloe55 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:17 pm

Army_of_one wrote:But yeh i love McFLY i think they're great.. i have their logo tattooed on my hip :?

:shock:

josh meant the *real* mcfly who are the dds tribute type band who have played at meetups. not busted's protégés!
chloe55
Dum Dum

Postby Rach » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:29 pm

hahahaha, i almost just wet myself.
Rach
Dum Dum

Postby psych » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:16 pm

Army_of_one wrote:and as for the real McFLY... i LOVE McFLY.. the ones being Busted's mate... they're really nice guys.. one of em came out and kept me warm for ages cos i'd been waiting for them.. Busted didnt even stop to say hi.. ignorant, big heads!
But yeh i love McFLY i think they're great.. i have their logo tattooed on my hip :? "Her Tattoo's always hidden by her underwear.. she don't care!"
hehe anyway ill shut up now before i get shouted at or criticised for liking them.

I like McFly, but they're not the REAL McFly! The tattoo thingy is scaring me though :p Yeah, they are nice guys (I met them in Dec) and Busted werent ALLOWED to come out.. but we got lots of waves from the car park. Its their management.
psych
Dum Dum

Postby theknightswhosayni » Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:37 pm

wow. I have so much respect and love for them and everything they done.
formerly known as 'josh's_lil_angel' (on previous board)
theknightswhosayni
Dum Dum

Postby nicsta » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:07 pm

aww i wasnt at the meetup cos it was my 21st the day after and my baby daughter had just come out of hospital after spending 7 weeks in hospital (long story, but she is recovering, thank God), so i couldnt go. but i reallly wish i could have done.

reading that when josh said about how hes happy the site is up and the supporters are still here gave me a lump in my throat. bless that man.

im gutted though, cos i live right by chichester and stu and josh went to uni there!! bah. never mind.[/quote]
CHEESEcake?? a CAKE of cheese??

if it's not one thing, it's your mother.

Im coming out of my cage, and I've been doing just fine, gotta gotta be down because i want it all....
nicsta
Dum Dum

Postby 1 » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:24 am

Awww bless that made me smile. :grin:

You Rock Dude! :)

Rock On
Claire x
Dummy

Return to News and Announcements