autistic society trek to morocco

All news and announcements (both DDs related and not) will be posted in this forum. Old announcements will also be archived here.

Moderators: Mark Everclear, TEXAS, Phoenix Ferret, Sal

autistic society trek to morocco

Postby TEXAS » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:14 pm

so... me and amy are hopefully going to get to go and trek in the anti-atlas mountains in morocco. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. however...we have to raise £1500 EACH for the national autistic society to be able to go. various schemes are already underway but I think we're going to need help with this!

I know between you all there's a wealth of experience on fundraising, organising, travelling so any ideas for madcap money making schemes are all gratefully accepted!

Problem is, we only have TWO and a half MONTHS to raise it! ARGH!

help me help me help me [/mark empire records]
TEXAS
Dum Dum

Postby helen » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:18 pm

bake sales! Raffles-ask local businesses to donate prizes. maybe a charity gig or club night?
helen
Dum Dum

Postby saaboo » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:54 pm

Enter the brainteaser quiz. ^_^
It'd be cool to send off your application to a gameshow saying you want to raise money for this charity... they'd prolly let you on, too.

Alternatively... my mom's raising money for the charity she's running the marathon for this year. She said at work, she does a lottery, and there are about 50 people in her office or something that all put £1 in, and pick a number and if theirs wins, they get £20, and she gets £30 for the charity.

I think that's a really good idea for places like work and school because whenever I've been doing sponsored things for school, people just put 20p in to shut you up, but this way they'll pay the money cos they're greedy bastards that want to win the prize :roll:
saaboo
Dum Dum

Postby helen » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:56 pm

Are you still at Vodaphone, kelly? Maybe you could go in on your day off and make tea/coffee/hot chocolate for everyone and charge them for charideee?
helen
Dum Dum

Postby TEXAS » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:12 pm

Helen yea, the trek is for vodafone employees! i'm gonna ask if they could do a dress down day and give me the money, though i don't know if it counts if it's kind of a work scheme anyway... but ti's not vodafone that would be giving me money, it's the people. or just go round with a bucket, people are pretty good at giving for charity there!

and yea, charity gigs are definitely a winner, we're onto that one already ; )

and sarah the lottery thing is a good idea actually, so true about people put more in if they think there's a chance they'd get some back!

good thing about vodafone is there's over 600 employees so plenty of people power for fundraising!

TEXAS
Dum Dum

Postby maz » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:37 pm

you could so a <insert name i can't rememember here>

i really can't think of the name of it, but someone at my mum's work was having a baby and they put all different weights into in a hat, everyone paid a pound to draw one, and when the baby was born my mum had the closest weight so she won half the money and the other half went to the special care baby unit. although my mum donated her money too, coz she's nice like that. i'm not suggesting you have a baby (not enough time) but you could do it for like who will win celeb big brother or some sporting event or something.

seriously someone, tell me what that's called, it's driving me mad!
maz
Dum Dum

Postby TEXAS » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:51 pm

sweepstake!!
TEXAS
Dum Dum

Postby maz » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:54 pm

yes, kelly! thank you! that was seriously driving me insane! why could i not think of that?!
maz
Dum Dum

Postby Ali » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:53 am

Just to say, Morocco is amazing and beautiful and special and just SO FUCKING GREAT. I wanna save up and go back there. *goes to look at her Morocco photos*
Ali
Dum Dum

Postby Anna » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:03 am

I will be donating the profits from February's Squid night to this - so after my break even point, all money goes to Kelly & Amy...even more incentive to come!

Buffalo Bar, Highbury & Islington station, 12th February, with Rumble Strips/The Headlines/Horsebox playing live and GoodBooks djing! http://www.squidsound.com
Gimme your Pile and gimme your tail.

I live in New York, and I was thinking about the lagoon in Central Park, down near Central Park South. I was wondering if it would be frozen over when I got home, and if it was, where did the ducks go. I was wondering where the ducks went when the lagoon got all icy and frozen over. I wondered if some guy came in a truck and took them away to a zoo or something. Or if they just flew away.
Anna
Dum Dum

Postby Jeni » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:34 am

i have no money making schemes im afraid im on a make yourself poor fast thing for the next year or so heh

but good luck with it im very proud of you for doing it for autistic people tho and hope that you do manage to raise the cash and go its very admirable
thank you on behalf of my likkle autistic kiddies that i look after not that it will affect them :P

i went to a conference by the autistic socity a few months ago and one of my friends from work has just gone to work in somerset in a home owned by the autistic society not that you needed to know that

xxx
Jeni
Dum Dum

Postby kim_who_lvz_stu » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:54 pm

do one of those online things that jo does, where people just donate online.
kim_who_lvz_stu
Dum Dum

Postby liddleruth » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:56 pm

i just thought of this today... go on ready steady cook!

you'd win £1000 if you got on the show...

& also people would see it on tv & mebbe donate

but then the time issue could mean it wouldn't work

i dunno but i thought it would be well good if you did it! xx
liddleruth
Dum Dum

Postby TEXAS » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:57 pm

that's the crazy thing, i've only got like 2 months! i'm gonna set one of those online donate things up, i'll figure it out with amy tomorrow night.

i got the pack through today with the itinerary, camping every night except one, one camp is at 3350m up a mountain! that's 3xSnowdon!!! 6 hours walking a day, we are seriously gonna need to train for this! But there's a celebration meal in marrakech on the last night and ohhh marrakech! i wish we could go to fez too... there's talk of shepherd's huts and remote villages and ooOo i'm excited and scared!
TEXAS
Dum Dum

Postby Alisha » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:17 pm

TEXAS wrote:that's the crazy thing, i've only got like 2 months! i'm gonna set one of those online donate things up, i'll figure it out with amy tomorrow night.

www.justgiving.com

AMAZING invention
"Be the Change You Want to See in the World"

Check out my blog www.dance-like.blogspot.com
Alisha
Dum Dum

Return to News and Announcements