We're Not Afraid.com

All news and announcements (both DDs related and not) will be posted in this forum. Old announcements will also be archived here.

Moderators: Mark Everclear, TEXAS, Phoenix Ferret, Sal

We're Not Afraid.com

Postby James » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:54 am

Great idea started by some of the guys at Moblog UK: http://www.werenotafraid.com/
I'm not Jesus, but I've got the same initials.
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby Alisha » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:12 pm

that link doesn't work for me.

love alice
"Be the Change You Want to See in the World"

Check out my blog www.dance-like.blogspot.com
Alisha
Dum Dum

Postby saaboo » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:29 pm

It takes something like this to bring out the cheese in people doesn't it?

Course we're all frickin afraid. Go away with your posters and bring back a bubble I can live in.
saaboo
Dum Dum

Postby James » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:35 pm

saaboo wrote:It takes something like this to bring out the cheese in people doesn't it?.

If you want to be cynical about it yeah. Just be glad it wasn't your city where people were blown into multiple pieces while going to work.
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby Ali » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:19 pm

saaboo wrote:Course we're all frickin afraid. Go away with your posters and bring back a bubble I can live in.

Oh okay. So I'll live my life afraid and not use tubes or busses or venture out of my area? Because I'm afraid? No. Just because something may worry people doesnt mean that they shouldnt let the people causing the destruction know that it wont break them down and make them live their lives in fear. By doing that the evil fuckers have won, they're controlling us and making us live our lives as they want us to. I think that website is a brilliant idea, it brings people together and shows that we are stonger than people thought we were.
Ali
Dum Dum

Postby cartilage » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:54 pm

i approve of this defiant gesture.
stuff <<(click)
cartilage
Dum Dum

Postby Alisha » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:00 pm

I'm afraid but I'm always afraid of London. I'm afraid of life in general. As someone said, you can get mugged or attacked anywhere anytime. But this hasn't made me any more afraid. As Tony Blair said, we will not be terrorised.

Also as Jimmy Carr says 'You're more likely to get attacked in London than you are in New York. That's because you don't live in New York'

love Alice

Alisha
Dum Dum

Postby The Wizard » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:40 pm

Those who've never experienced terrorism can not understand how it feels to be unsafe in your own city/town.
The Wizard
Dum Dum

Postby Anna » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:45 pm

The Wizard wrote:Those who've never experienced terrorism can not understand how it feels to be unsafe in your own city/town.

After yesterday, I don't feel unsafe. I feel proud, I feel like I can walk tall. I have the utmost faith in our emergency services. That's not to say I'm not scared that it will happen again, but if it does then I'm not scared because I have seen how we cope and how we overcome it. It doesn't have to make us feel unsafe.
Gimme your Pile and gimme your tail.

I live in New York, and I was thinking about the lagoon in Central Park, down near Central Park South. I was wondering if it would be frozen over when I got home, and if it was, where did the ducks go. I was wondering where the ducks went when the lagoon got all icy and frozen over. I wondered if some guy came in a truck and took them away to a zoo or something. Or if they just flew away.
Anna
Dum Dum

Postby sleepysheepy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:16 pm

The name is a bit cheesey.....but the idea is good. It's really good that so many people care.

The best bit is this picture:

:D aww
sleepysheepy
Dum Dum

Postby The Wizard » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:18 pm

Anna wrote:
The Wizard wrote:Those who've never experienced terrorism can not understand how it feels to be unsafe in your own city/town.

After yesterday, I don't feel unsafe. I feel proud, I feel like I can walk tall. I have the utmost faith in our emergency services. That's not to say I'm not scared that it will happen again, but if it does then I'm not scared because I have seen how we cope and how we overcome it. It doesn't have to make us feel unsafe.

Ok then, scared. You know what I'm getting at. You know you're a target because of where you live. It's THAT feeling which many will not know.

And I second your comment on the emergency services. I believe that they worked superbly under very difficult conditions.
The Wizard
Dum Dum

Postby James » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:35 pm

I'm not scared, sure it might be a concern, or you might think about it at times...but that's different to fear.....it only become fear when it controls you and makes you not do something you might normally do because of the fear.

The thing with these kind of events is you have no control over them and that's what scares people. But if you accept that it's just one of those things that you cannot control and that is may, and at some point probably will happen....it's easier to deal with it. I for one won't spend my life worrying about 'what ifs' because I don't want to live my life that way.
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby Anna » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:49 pm

James wrote:I'm not scared, sure it might be a concern, or you might think about it at times...but that's different to fear.....it only become fear when it controls you and makes you not do something you might normally do because of the fear.

The thing with these kind of events is you have no control over them and that's what scares people. But if you accept that it's just one of those things that you cannot control and that is may, and at some point probably will happen....it's easier to deal with it. I for one won't spend my life worrying about 'what ifs' because I don't want to live my life that way.

Yeah, that. I'm not scared to go out or to live my life. This is where I live and we can cope with anything anyone wants to throw at us. I think yesterday showed that.

I live in New York, and I was thinking about the lagoon in Central Park, down near Central Park South. I was wondering if it would be frozen over when I got home, and if it was, where did the ducks go. I was wondering where the ducks went when the lagoon got all icy and frozen over. I wondered if some guy came in a truck and took them away to a zoo or something. Or if they just flew away.
Anna
Dum Dum

Postby liddleruth » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:47 pm

in your face, sara! no fear though, as b*witched said, c'est le vie.

but to be fair, i have to say that although "i am not afraid", i wouldn't take a picture of it & put it on the site thing, because, it's well lame :p

having said that, after the new york one, i spent tiiiiiiiiime looking at all the pictures, there were some cuuuute guys! i love your pic sarah!! look at them! bending! "rock on!" i hope matt from the beat up does one 8)

the cheese solidarity thing is kinda annoying though, cos like, it's a reaction, it shouldn't be a reaction, it should be like that before. apart from, less cheesey, obviously.
i dunno, i don't dig that stubborn "HA! we will defy you!" thing... who are you defying? why do you give a fuck what they think anyway? xx
liddleruth
Dum Dum

Postby liddleruth » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:59 pm

class

[a lot of those messages are absolute shit :/]
liddleruth
Dum Dum

Postby James » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:02 pm

liddleruth wrote:[a lot of those messages are absolute shit :/]

Just like a lot of yours! Have a fucking heart.
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby Alisha » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:23 pm

James wrote:

I don't agree with some of them. The ones which are just about hate and revenge because there is no point in that but I like the sentiment of the majority.

love Alice

Alisha
Dum Dum

Postby ! » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:29 pm

it's nice to see lots of people showing support and solidarity, but i don't agree with the hate/death/revenge ones.
!
Dum Dum

Postby liddleruth » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:39 pm

Alisha wrote:
James wrote:

I don't agree with some of them. The ones which are just about hate and revenge because there is no point in that but I like the sentiment of the majority.

love Alice

that's what i mean, james. yeah, let's put our fingers up, that's so mature, put up loads of arse jokes, ace. personally i find that totally inappropriate, but whatever, i don't have a heart so i can't find that inappropriate? please.

i know i talk a load of shit, but unlike that website, i'm not making what i say public statements.

thank you for your time xx
liddleruth
Dum Dum

Postby laura2 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:50 pm

the reality is; we can not control whether or not these narrow minded bastards will bomb us. It's hard not to be unsettled and scared, but living each and every day like that will mean a humble existence.

We're struck with disasters all the time and, with the good, you have to have the bad I suppose. It's not just people and bombs that ruin our routines and our happiness; nature can be just as cruel. This was made painfully clear to me over the last week. My ex-boyfriends aunty, who i had become quite close to is hospital dying of cancer. she probably has a couple of days left now. She has a big, loving family and was a very ambitious and busy woman who, at 50 loved the rolling stones and organised any family party that needed organsing. She first had breast cancer years ago which was removed successfully they said. But it came back again recently and since spread to her liver and her bones and she soon became not strong enough to continue with chemo therapy. The doctors had to tell her husband and two sons there was nothing mnore that could be done and now we're all just waiting for her to slip away.
I've never lost a member of my family or a friend so this whole expereicne is new to me and it's the worst, cruelist thing ever. I went with mark to the hospital to see her, and she was yellow and had no hair it was just awful.

but...basically my point is, we have no control other things which is unfair and bad things will and do happen all the time, whether it's a result of man or nature. the best we can dois carry on and be supportive of each other in these horrible times.

so yeah..no need for sarcastic remarks from anyone i think, people are just being supportive the best way they can right now and i think that is a positive thing.
laura2
Dum Dum

Postby dave » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:05 pm

I feel safer now than I did before Thursday

For years everyone's been expecting an attack so when you're on the tube you think, maybe this is going to be the train that gets bombed.

Now it's happened it's pretty unlikely to happen here anytime soon. Look at Bali, Madrid and New York - none attacked since the major incidents.
dave
Dum Dum

Postby Anna » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:27 pm

dave wrote:For years everyone's been expecting an attack so when you're on the tube you think, maybe this is going to be the train that gets bombed.

really? shit i missed that.

Anna
Dum Dum

Postby dave » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:35 pm

Anna wrote:
dave wrote:For years everyone's been expecting an attack so when you're on the tube you think, maybe this is going to be the train that gets bombed.

What?
dave
Dum Dum

Postby Anna » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:06 pm

dave wrote:
Anna wrote:

What?

i just meant...*do* you think that when you're on the tube? i don't think i've ever thought about being bombed on the tube...ever.

Anna
Dum Dum

Postby dave » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:08 pm

Anna wrote:
dave wrote:
Anna wrote:

What?

i just meant...*do* you think that when you're on the tube? i don't think i've ever thought about being bombed on the tube...ever.

Ok, yeah, I have thought that before, but now I would not expect it to happen. They've done their attack on us now, time for them to move elsewhere like they always do.
dave
Dum Dum

Postby dave » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:09 pm

I mean, for a terrorist trying to attack London the tube is a prettty obvious target.
dave
Dum Dum

Postby Alisha » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:41 am

dave wrote:I mean, for a terrorist trying to attack London the tube is a prettty obvious target.

I agree with what you're saying. I was shocked by what happened but not suprised. It was always a case of 'when' and 'where' terrorists would attack but never 'if'. That's one of the reasons why the death toll is relatively low, because the emergancy services were ready.

I also agree that in a way, I feel safer now, because it's happened.

love Alice

Alisha
Dum Dum

Postby Matt » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:40 pm

I don't see the point of a site like this... instead of just posting pictures, why don't people actually try and do something?

On another site, someone posted:-

1. allow democratic secession of any region that does not want to be part of your country;
2. do not meddle in internal affairs of other countries unless officially asked to.
2.a. when you *do* meddle in internal affairs of other countries, do so in a pacifying way -- offer a negotiation table to all interested parties.
3. don't condone predatory commercial practices by your onw nationals;
4. respect minorities inside *and* outside your country.
It's quite simple, really.
Follow the recipe and *no* terrorists will *ever* want to bomb your country.
=+=+ dos locos +=+=
Matt
Dum Dum

Location: Somewhere on a plane between San Francisco and Boston.

Postby Alisha » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:03 pm

Matt wrote:1. allow democratic secession of any region that does not want to be part of your country;
2. do not meddle in internal affairs of other countries unless officially asked to.
2.a. when you *do* meddle in internal affairs of other countries, do so in a pacifying way -- offer a negotiation table to all interested parties.
3. don't condone predatory commercial practices by your onw nationals;
4. respect minorities inside *and* outside your country.
It's quite simple, really.
Follow the recipe and *no* terrorists will *ever* want to bomb your country

But individual people cannot do that. And this website is about showing support and solidarity for those who were affected by what happened.

What do you expect people to do? Sit there and go 'Well, I'm glad it was them and not us. I was affected, why should I care?'

love Alice

Alisha
Dum Dum

Postby Matt » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:27 pm

Alisha wrote:But individual people cannot do that. And this website is about showing support and solidarity for those who were affected by what happened.

What do you expect people to do? Sit there and go 'Well, I'm glad it was them and not us. I was affected, why should I care?'

love Alice

No, I expect people to try and do something about it. Not just a few organisations or a few people, but everyone in this country should be asking a lot of questions right now.
=+=+ dos locos +=+=
Matt
Dum Dum

Location: Somewhere on a plane between San Francisco and Boston.

Next

Return to News and Announcements