S.E. Asia Earthquake/Tsunami Aid - Please Donate Online.

All news and announcements (both DDs related and not) will be posted in this forum. Old announcements will also be archived here.

Moderators: Mark Everclear, TEXAS, Phoenix Ferret, Sal

S.E. Asia Earthquake/Tsunami Aid - Please Donate Online.

Postby James » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:37 am

By now we have all seen and heard the horrific news of the Earthquake and Tsunami that has devastated much of South East Asia on December 26th. We are deeply saddened by the resulting loss of life and would encourage you to donate whatever you can (however little) to the relief efforts.

You can donate money online at the following sites:

UK: www.dec.org.uk (Disasters Emergency Committee UK)
USA: www.amazon.com - Amazon have set up a donation scheme on their website - 100% of your donation will go to the American Red Cross.

YOU CAN NOW DONATE BY TEXT MESSAGE:

Send an SMS saying "GO ASIA" to 89098. £1.50 per message.

Please do what you can to help those in need at this difficult time.

Thank You.
Last edited by James on Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
I'm not Jesus, but I've got the same initials.
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby Alisha » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:39 am

Done.

What gets me is all these numbers and figures keep coming up on the news but they are just too much to comprehend.

There's a 'dedication' type site here:

http://www.earthquake.info.se

love Alice
"Be the Change You Want to See in the World"

Check out my blog www.dance-like.blogspot.com
Alisha
Dum Dum

Postby sleepysheepy » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:25 am

I hate George Bush's speech yesterday all about how 'America' are doing this and 'america' are doing that. And also how 'America' is gonna set up a task force to persuade other countries to give aid. Like we need persuading! Idiot.

I would give money but my overdraft is at it's limit sadly :(.

It so impossible to comprehend that many people having died......and like, even the ones who have survived have no food or water so it's likely that loads of them will die too. It's just......erg.
sleepysheepy
Dum Dum

Postby In_Love_With_An_Alien » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:52 pm

the death toll has just doubled by the day, its so shocking.

my mum said we should be sending troops to s.e. asia to sort of the devastation. because its too much for the community to handle. there's just so much loss, and even if we give them money who's going to build the houses, rebuild entire communities?
In_Love_With_An_Alien
Dum Dum

Postby Ali » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:56 pm

Once my loan comes through on Monday (I hope) I'm donating some.
Ali
Dum Dum

Postby James » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:07 pm

In_Love_With_An_Alien wrote: even if we give them money who's going to build the houses, rebuild entire communities?

The money goes to international aid agencies who will spend it rebuidling lives and properties! These countries have governments and will have help from other countries to help put things right - dontaing you money means they WILL get it.

Thailand & India are the lest affected because they are big coutries, with big economies that can afford the finincial cost of re-building and re-houseing people, Thailand haven't asked for much aid at all, but it's the smaller places that need your money.
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby James » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:38 pm

The Disasters Emergency Committee - www.dec.org.uk - is an umbrella group of UK aid organisations - including ActionAid, British Red Cross, Oxfam - working to provide clean water, food and shelter to thousands. To call from the UK dial 0870 60 60 900.

The United Nations World Food Programme - www.wfp.org - is seeking donations to feed victims of the earthquake.

Medecins Sans Frontieres - www.msf.org - is sending aid workers to the region, focusing on medical care for survivors and displaced people after the rescue operations.

Islamic Relief - www.islamic-relief.com - has also launched an appeal to provide medical supplies, tents and sanitation facilities for those affected.

The United Nations Children's Fund, Unicef - www.unicef.org.uk - is working to meet the "urgent needs of hundreds of thousands of people" affected by the tsunami disaster.

The UN refugee agency, UNHCR - www.unhcr.ch - which has been helping victims of conflicts in Indonesia and Sri Lanka, is delivering relief supplies to tsunami survivors in both countries.

Save the Children - www.savethechildren.org.uk - has already flown a plane out to Sri Lanka carrying plastic sheeting for temporary shelter, tents to run children's services from, and essentials such as clothing and cooking utensils.

Anti-poverty organisation Care International - www.care.org - has already provided food for thousands of affected people in Sri Lanka.

Cafod, the Catholic Agency for Overseas Development - www.cafod.org.uk - is working with partners across Asia to provide shelter, food aid and medical assistance, and assessing what further relief is needed.

The Red Cross, and its sister charity the Red Crescent, is supplying blankets, cooking utensils and other crucial goods. It has had to set up a new site - www.ifrc.org - because of the unprecedented demand from people wanting to make donations.

Christian Aid - www.christianaid.org.uk - has already allocated £250,000 from its emergency fund to help the victims of this disaster but says more money is needed.

Christian charity Tearfund - www.tearfund.org - and its partners in Sri Lanka and India are helping devastated fishing communities and coastal villages get back on their feet.

The Islamic Aid Emergency Relief Fund - www.islamicaid.org.uk - aims to provide immediate relief and long-term support to people in the affected areas.

Another Islamic charity, Muslim Hands - www.muslimhands.org- is collecting money and sending volunteers to help in Indonesia and Malaysia.

Medair - www.medair.org - is providing emergency support to agencies with a long term presence in Sri Lanka and its medical experts are assessing the likelihood of malaria and diarrhoea.

World Vision - www.worldvision.org.uk - has also launched an appeal and has already delivered relief goods to thousands.

Concern - www.concern.net - is working with local partners to meet the needs of families in the devastated coastal villages of Tamil Nadu, the worst affected state in India.

The International Rescue Committee - www.theirc.org - is providing emergency supplies and materials to "people most affected by the crisis".

The Salvation Army - www.salvationarmy.org.uk has local teams working in a number of affected areas and is sending a team from its international headquarters on Wednesday evening.

Muslim Aid - www.muslimaid.org - has already donated £100,000 towards the purchase of food, clothing and medicine in the region but wants to raise more.

Action Aid - www.actionaid.org - is the biggest charity working in south India. It is focusing its relief work on the coast of Tamil Nadu, where 7,000 people died. It is working on providing medical assistance and sanitation for the survivors.

Asia Quake Relief Appeal UK, a UK-based Sri Lankan organisation, is also raising money and can be emailed at asia-quakerelief@europe.com

You can donate to all the campaigns via their websites.
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby In_Love_With_An_Alien » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:13 pm

i wasn't having a go, and i know donating money will benefit these people massively, but it feels like theres so much more this country could do to help those in need i.e. sending over troops to help with the mass clear up and rebuild, yet we're still fighting a war in iraq.
In_Love_With_An_Alien
Dum Dum

Postby nicsta » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:58 pm

i am going to do this, definitely. but do i need a credit card or can i just do it on my debit card??

i dont know how much i can donate but i wanna help them.

i am also gonna donate to the homeless in the UK as well though, cos as i had it pointed out, there are loads of people here who need help too. does anyone know how i would do that??
CHEESEcake?? a CAKE of cheese??

if it's not one thing, it's your mother.

Im coming out of my cage, and I've been doing just fine, gotta gotta be down because i want it all....
nicsta
Dum Dum

Postby James » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:12 pm

Debit card is fine.

There are lots of UK homeless charities - google will know!
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby nicsta » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:17 pm

James wrote:Debit card is fine.

There are lots of UK homeless charities - google will know!

ok thanks James, i will get onto it asap.. just need to check my bank balance first! if not i will use my bf's credit card and just pay him back. xx

Im coming out of my cage, and I've been doing just fine, gotta gotta be down because i want it all....
nicsta
Dum Dum

Postby chloe55 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:21 pm

In_Love_With_An_Alien wrote:i wasn't having a go, and i know donating money will benefit these people massively, but it feels like theres so much more this country could do to help those in need i.e. sending over troops to help with the mass clear up and rebuild, yet we're still fighting a war in iraq.

various bbc reports wrote:
The UK government is to give at least £15m to help the victims of the Asian earthquake which is thought to have killed nearly 60,000 people.
International Development Secretary Hilary Benn said this made the UK the second biggest donor after the US and added more would be given if required.
Party leader Michael Howard said: "The earlier aid can get to these regions the more effective it will be."
He has also urged the Chancellor Gordon Brown to place cash in the bank accounts of non-governmental organisations. This would enable them to charter planes without any delay, he argued.

The government sent its first plane-load of aid on 27 December, and another containing fresh drinking water is set to fly out of Manchester to the Maldives on Wednesday.

Mr Benn said Britain had just completed the purchase of 20,000 tarpaulins, 4,500 cooking sets, 40,000 sleeping mats, 5,000 water cans as well as 10 World Health Organisation health kits which provide basic supplies for 100,000 people for three months.

Meanwhile Britain's aid agencies under the umbrella of The Disasters Emergency Committee are stepping up their efforts to get aid to the quake-hit areas.

Meanwhile, an Oxfam charter plane carrying 27 tonnes of equipment worth £100,000 will fly to Sri Lanka and Indonesia on Wednesday.

The British Red Cross is also due to send out aid planes to the region.

And a Red Cross plane containing 40 tonnes of logistics and telecommunications equipment is due to fly from Bristol Airport to Colombo, Sri Lanka, at 1600 GMT.
The equipment will be used by a team of logistics experts who flew to Columbo from London on Monday to make sure Red Cross supplies are distributed efficiently.

Prime Minister Tony Blair has pledged that Britain is ready to help those hit "in any way we can". But the government has had to defend itself against accusations that it is not offering enough money.
International Development Secretary Hilary Benn told BBC News: "I have said all along that we will do more.

"The issue is not the pledging of the money, it's turning the money into practical assistance on the ground."

they're just trying to keep people who are left actually alive. and the further away our stupid army is kept from everywhere the better.
chloe55
Dum Dum

Postby saaboo » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:45 pm

Mr Benn said

*snigger*
saaboo
Dum Dum

Postby Anna » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:12 pm

nicsta wrote:i am also gonna donate to the homeless in the UK as well though, cos as i had it pointed out, there are loads of people here who need help too. does anyone know how i would do that??

Crisis is probably your best bet - http://www.crisis.org.uk/
Gimme your Pile and gimme your tail.

I live in New York, and I was thinking about the lagoon in Central Park, down near Central Park South. I was wondering if it would be frozen over when I got home, and if it was, where did the ducks go. I was wondering where the ducks went when the lagoon got all icy and frozen over. I wondered if some guy came in a truck and took them away to a zoo or something. Or if they just flew away.
Anna
Dum Dum

Postby Matt » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:57 pm

I got a dollar off everyone at the show last night, all that (about $870) has gone to the Amazon fund.
=+=+ dos locos +=+=
Matt
Dum Dum

Location: Somewhere on a plane between San Francisco and Boston.

Postby Sal » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:13 pm

I'm not trying to belittle any of this aid at all, because it's clearly needed. I do however agree with sarah about how good old america are going to swoop down and save the day. It's amazing how people suddenly give a shit about areas like thailand and indonesia, who have been in severe trouble for god knows how long. with the recession of recent years... the whole area was totally screwed. there's other things like the endless corruption and the fact that certain areas just won't get better, but no. it'll all be forgotten by most people as soon as the floods are over. it doesn't end.
Sal
Dum Dum

Postby James » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:25 pm

Sal wrote:I'm not trying to belittle any of this aid at all, because it's clearly needed. I do however agree with sarah about how good old america are going to swoop down and save the day. It's amazing how people suddenly give a shit about areas like thailand and indonesia, who have been in severe trouble for god knows how long. with the recession of recent years... the whole area was totally screwed. there's other things like the endless corruption and the fact that certain areas just won't get better, but no. it'll all be forgotten by most people as soon as the floods are over. it doesn't end.

The world ain't a nice place, but everyone can do a little something to try and make it better. That's the aim here I guess, not changing the world, just trying to make a difference...
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby liddleruth » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:09 pm

everything is so sad :( xx
liddleruth
Dum Dum

Postby lauralollipop » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:17 pm

i saw my friend who was in sri lanka tonight. i didn't get a chance to speak to him long, he just said he wasn't in a badly hit part, but his family were planning on going to the beach that day, but didn't at the last moment. i still haven't heard anything from my other friend. its horrible. :cry:
lauralollipop
Dum Dum

Postby James » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:37 am

Where are all the people posting saying they've donated?

Thinking "I can't really afford it" isn't an excuse, EVERYONE can afford to donate SOMETHING, even if it's just 1.50 for a text message.
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby patti » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:57 am

i donated and i have sent a copy of your message to all in my address book and everyone at work....

I got 3 replies from people who said they have donated alraedy....and am talking to Oliver about donating his pocket money this week.
patti
Dum Dum

Postby TEXAS » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:12 am

i have. eventually after it not working all day!
TEXAS
Dum Dum

Postby liddleruth » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:22 am

James wrote:Where are all the people posting saying they've donated?

not saying?

patti has reminded me though, that i was gonna mention it on some other boards. xx
liddleruth
Dum Dum

Postby Sal » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:47 pm

surely it doesn't matter if people say whether they've donated or not? that's a private thing.
Sal
Dum Dum

Postby Phoenix Ferret » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:38 pm

114,000 dead. That’s about 38x the number of those killed on 9/11. With 9/11 we saw unprecedented support from the rest of the world in our time of tragedy. I’m not trying to diminish that loss, but the United States has only pledged $35 million dollars to support the relief efforts of the effected countries. $35 million dollars is what we spend in 3 hours in Iraq. $20 million of that $35 million is listed as a line of credit… a loan… with the presumption that we expect to be paid back. George Bush’s inauguration is slated to cost $40 million. There is something wrong with this picture

thats from someone on my lj friends list. the US government are cunts.
PF
too cool to dance records
.01 - narwhal - s/t 7" SOLD OUT!
.02 - jupiter lander - s/t 7"OUT NOW!
.03 - pete the pirate squid - lp OUT NOW!
.04 - what price, wonderland? - thirty with a wink lp OUT NOW!
.05 - damezumari - 7" OUT NOW!
.06 - what price, wonderland? - is it shakey? OUT NOW!
.07 what price, wonderland? / twisted - split 7" OUT NOW!
Phoenix Ferret
Lord Of Emo

Postby nicsta » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:47 pm

done it. :grin:

nicsta
Dum Dum

Postby vid » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:20 pm

me and my mum donated some money, though we were wondering - we've got lots of old clothes that we've just grown out and in suitcases and my mum was wondering if there is anyway to send these over there by some charity? because i mean it may get more use ther and than just lying in a room our house.
vid
Dum Dum

Postby James » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:38 pm

Sal - very true, I just thought people would post saying they'd done so, that's all.

Toby - The U.S. is going to donate more, Colin Powell has said that today.
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby puddleduck » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:54 pm

nicsta wrote:done it. :grin:

Me too.

Laura - I hope you hear from your friend soon, I know how terrible it can be as my friend lost his sister and cousin in the Bali bombing. xx
puddleduck
Dum Dum

Postby liddleruth » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:35 pm

James wrote:Colin Powell

i love that name. xx
liddleruth
Dum Dum

Next

Return to News and Announcements