iTunes Europe available!

All news and announcements (both DDs related and not) will be posted in this forum. Old announcements will also be archived here.

Moderators: Mark Everclear, TEXAS, Phoenix Ferret, Sal

iTunes Europe available!

Postby Anna » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:06 pm

79p a song and complete with a NEW PIXIES TRACK! I've just registered!
Gimme your Pile and gimme your tail.

I live in New York, and I was thinking about the lagoon in Central Park, down near Central Park South. I was wondering if it would be frozen over when I got home, and if it was, where did the ducks go. I was wondering where the ducks went when the lagoon got all icy and frozen over. I wondered if some guy came in a truck and took them away to a zoo or something. Or if they just flew away.
Anna
Dum Dum

Postby Broken Star » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:39 pm

Do you think they've not added a lot of the catalouge yet, because its got a lot of holes in it...No beatles, only 3 Smiths tracks, no manics, No pumpkins, only 2 Blur albums (curiously 'Leisure' and 'Bustin+Dronin') and no Bjork. Plus they lited Blue under 'alternative', 'The Smiths' under rock and theres no mention of Smahsing Pumpkins anywhere!
...I know I Believe in Nothing but it is MY Nothing...

http://www.marcburrows.co.uk
My original Dum Dums interview, March 2000
Broken Star
Dum Dum

Postby Anna » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:46 pm

There's some stuff been going on with independent record labels - I wasn't even sure if I could get the new Pixies track until I looked today because it's on 4AD.

Are Leisure and Bustin+Dronin on Food? I forget. But it could be that that's one of the labels who aren't on there. The Beatles aren't available online anywhere because all of their music was released by their own labels, they're currently thinking about making it available online legally but it isn't for the moment. I can't remember what label the Smiths were on, and I don't know what label the Manics/Pumpkins/Bjork are on..

I live in New York, and I was thinking about the lagoon in Central Park, down near Central Park South. I was wondering if it would be frozen over when I got home, and if it was, where did the ducks go. I was wondering where the ducks went when the lagoon got all icy and frozen over. I wondered if some guy came in a truck and took them away to a zoo or something. Or if they just flew away.
Anna
Dum Dum

Postby Broken Star » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:48 pm

Smiths- Rough trade
Morrissey- EMI/ SanctuaryManics- Columbia/Epic/Sony
Blur- Food/EMI (those two albums are on the same label as the rest of their stuff)
Pumpkins- Virgin/Hutt

All very curious.

Broken Star
Dum Dum

Postby Anna » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:57 pm

Having said that, Jamie Cullum does loads of business on the iTunes store in the US, and only has one track available over here, but it's an exclusive - so if they've got an iTunes exclusive, you'd expect them to have his albums too?! Hm. I dunno...shall endeavour to find out!

Anna
Dum Dum

Postby James » Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:04 pm

I registered & downloaded the Pixies track & a couple of Darkness rarities...to be honest I think I'm going to end up using this to buy more indivudual singles/rare bonus tracks etc. than I am albums.

The reason there is loads of stuff 'missing' is because iTunes have to negotiate a deal with each artist/label to sell their songs through the music store. BUT each individual deal with each individual band/label applies to each individual territory.

So...

If a band is already sold on iTunes in the US they then have to agree a seperate deal for the UK, Europe, Japan, etc, etc, etc.

Record deals work in exactly the same way - you sign different deals for different territories (or in somecases one worldwide deal)...so it's going to take iTunes a while to negotiate new licensing deals with everyone for the UK/European iTunes!
I'm not Jesus, but I've got the same initials.
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby Anna » Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:15 pm

Yeah, but the reason it's been so long since the release of US iTunes Store is because they've been doing all the licensing stuff. Jobs only wanted to release it when it was ready and he was happy that they had all the tracks that would make people come and buy stuff there - he's not the type to release a halfassed bit of software.

I doubt I'll be using it for albums either - the new Beastie Boys record is £7.99 on there, and I could probably manage to find it for about that price online or in a secondhand record shop anyway. I don't actually want it that much, but I was just using an example, heh. I'll more be using it for one off singles that I like but don't like enough to buy the album, rarities and bands I want to check out, like Nusrat.

Edit: What do you think of the new Pixies song, James?

Anna
Dum Dum

Postby chloe55 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:36 pm

Anna wrote: the new Beastie Boys record is £7.99 on there, and I could probably manage to find it for about that price online or in a secondhand record shop anyway. I don't actually want it that much, but I was just using an example, heh.

yeah it's £7.99+p&p on amazon heh.
chloe55
Dum Dum

Postby Anna » Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:38 pm

chloe55 wrote:
Anna wrote: the new Beastie Boys record is £7.99 on there, and I could probably manage to find it for about that price online or in a secondhand record shop anyway. I don't actually want it that much, but I was just using an example, heh.

yeah it's £7.99+p&p on amazon heh.

arr, so if i was buying a few cds that came to more than £25, i'd get p+p free. it's 8.99 on play.com as well...a pound for better quality, packaging, a hard product and artwork/album sleeve? yes please.

Anna
Dum Dum

Postby Matt » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:28 pm

I'm working on a article about this, but basically... unless the price is very very very good, what's the point? The artists don't get much of the money, and they'll probably never get to see it anyway... all you're doing really, is helping the record companies.

This of course is a bit better for indie labels, but still... almost the same price for zero distribution cost, no physical media, the cost for you to actually download it, plus, if you want to actually keep the track, you get a lossy track that's nowhere near as good as an actual CD audio track.
=+=+ dos locos +=+=
Matt
Dum Dum

Location: Somewhere on a plane between San Francisco and Boston.

Postby Anna » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:30 pm

Matt wrote:I'm working on a article about this, but basically... unless the price is very very very good, what's the point? The artists don't get much of the money, and they'll probably never get to see it anyway... all you're doing really, is helping the record companies.

Because the Pixies song isn't anywhere else, not even p2p networks, and I adore them. Nuff said :p

Anna
Dum Dum

Postby Matt » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:32 pm

Anna wrote:
Matt wrote:I'm working on a article about this, but basically... unless the price is very very very good, what's the point? The artists don't get much of the money, and they'll probably never get to see it anyway... all you're doing really, is helping the record companies.

Because the Pixies song isn't anywhere else, not even p2p networks, and I adore them. Nuff said :p

So, you bought it? Rip all the DRM and put it on the p2p networks.
=+=+ dos locos +=+=
Matt
Dum Dum

Postby whatacrapname » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:45 pm

arr. any rarities will be available on p2p in a matter of days i imagine.

not something i'd ever bother doing really. i like looking in cd shops too much, and owning the actual music in physical form. and the money is a joke.
whatacrapname
Dum Dum

Postby Matt » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:51 pm

whatacrapname wrote:arr. any rarities will be available on p2p in a matter of days i imagine.

not something i'd ever bother doing really. i like looking in cd shops too much, and owning the actual music in physical form. and the money is a joke.

you are the best, rob.
=+=+ dos locos +=+=
Matt
Dum Dum

Postby Ali » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:54 pm

I'm using it to get songs that I wouldnt relly normally buy, but would love to listen to. Cos I cant get Napster/anything like that so it suits me fine! I wouldn't get albums or anything like that though, for many of the reasons mentioned above!
Ali
Dum Dum

Postby Mark Everclear » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:40 pm

Anna wrote:Because the Pixies song isn't anywhere else, not even p2p networks

it is, i downloaded it.
Mark Everclear
Dum Dum

Postby Anna » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:42 pm

it wasn't yesterday, marko

Anna
Dum Dum

Postby Mark Everclear » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:47 pm

it's been around since the 12th :p
Mark Everclear
Dum Dum

Postby Matt » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:17 am

Mark Everclear wrote:it's been around since the 12th :p

Anna == pwned.
=+=+ dos locos +=+=
Matt
Dum Dum

Postby James » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:33 am

whatacrapname wrote:and the money is a joke.

79p a song? Not really!?
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby Mark Everclear » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:41 am

James wrote:
whatacrapname wrote:and the money is a joke.

79p a song? Not really!?

like people have said.. 7.99 for an album on there, or 8.99 for one from the net, complete with uncompressed audio, artwork, no drm, etc.
Mark Everclear
Dum Dum

Postby James » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:43 am

Mark Everclear wrote:like people have said.. 7.99 for an album on there, or 8.99 for one from the net, complete with uncompressed audio, artwork, no drm, etc.

Like I said - it's cool if you're after individual tracks.
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:14 am

James wrote:
Mark Everclear wrote:like people have said.. 7.99 for an album on there, or 8.99 for one from the net, complete with uncompressed audio, artwork, no drm, etc.

Like I said - it's cool if you're after individual tracks.

Get them from Allofmp3 or p2p - pay next to nothing for them; and buy a tshirt from the band at a show.

James, have you used the download store on Warp? DRM-free, standard mp3 files, good quality... all you'd need really.
=+=+ dos locos +=+=
Matt
Dum Dum

Postby behooved girl » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:37 am

perhaps i'm just weird and different, but for the same price and a choice between the two.. i'd rather go for the digital tracks.

maybe it's because i'm moving to the other side of the world and am trying to consolidate majorly, but when i buy a CD, i just rip it straight to 128kbps aac anyway. it goes on my powerbook (which is run through my hifi) and onto my ipod (which i can take out, and play through my car stereo), and those are the only two sources for all my music now. the CD's get shoved onto a shelf and take up room and i rarely touch them again. sometimes i forget i even have CD's anymore.
Top Weekly Artists:
behooved girl
Dum Dum

Postby Broken Star » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:51 am

behooved girl wrote: but when i buy a CD, i just rip it straight to 128kbps aac anyway. it goes on my powerbook (which is run through my hifi) and onto my ipod and those are the only two sources for all my music now. the CD's get shoved onto a shelf and take up room and i rarely touch them again. sometimes i forget i even have CD's anymore.

Ditto.

Broken Star
Dum Dum

Postby James » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:30 pm

I'm kinda the same too, except that if some bizarre electrical accident happened & killed both my PC & iPod then if you don't own stuff on CD, it's all gone...so I like having all my CDs, even though I don't listen them much...I do also have to admit I'd miss not have some of the artwork/digipacks etc. although, not all of it.

Matt's argument seems to be aimed more at the record label side of it, who gets what money etc, which is a fair point, but applies to CD as well as downloads.

A lot of musicians I know are really excited about legal download services because it means in time they will be able to completely skip the record labels and sell their music themselves via download services....and this really will change the music industry!

I haven't bought anythign from Warp yet Matt - didn't realise they were DRM free, but that's a good thing - maybe others will catch on.
www.jamesdclarke.com
@jamesdclarke
James
Site Admin

Postby Broken Star » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:37 pm

I know what you mean, but since I had abput 150 albums nicked in the last year then i don't really have much choice anymore. What it does mean is that now I only by CD's that I really, really want and would be happy to own.

Broken Star
Dum Dum

Postby behooved girl » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:08 pm

Broken Star wrote:I know what you mean, but since I had abput 150 albums nicked in the last year then i don't really have much choice anymore. What it does mean is that now I only by CD's that I really, really want and would be happy to own.

yeah it can go either way... i've got my whole music collection backed up to an external firewire drive as well. so if something were to happen to my powerbook, ipod, AND that hard drive... then it would suck. but that's probably less unlikely than getting my cd's stolen (which i've had happened before to a few.. including my original dumdums one, grr).

i still buy cd's for bands that have special sentimental value to me. like if the dumdums suddenly reformed and released another cd, no doubt i'd buy that. and when the new rilo kiley cd is released this summer, i'll want to own the actual cd. etc. but for general album buying from bands i like but am not obsessed with, digital tracks are fine. album art from major label artists has sort of gone into the dumps lately anyway. it's like "ooh look.. photographs of us posing and looking 'sexy'" or whatever. it's isn't really art.. just more cheap promotion from the label. they don't even put lyrics in a lot of liner notes anymore. i'm more likely to find them on the net!
Top Weekly Artists:
behooved girl
Dum Dum

Postby Phoenix Ferret » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:13 pm

marc, how come you had so many cds stolen? i'd cry if someone stole my cds/vinyl. i really, REALLY need to catalogue it all and get it seperately insured cos its probably worth about £10,000 or so.
PF

np. on the might of princes - at half mast
too cool to dance records
.01 - narwhal - s/t 7" SOLD OUT!
.02 - jupiter lander - s/t 7"OUT NOW!
.03 - pete the pirate squid - lp OUT NOW!
.04 - what price, wonderland? - thirty with a wink lp OUT NOW!
.05 - damezumari - 7" OUT NOW!
.06 - what price, wonderland? - is it shakey? OUT NOW!
.07 what price, wonderland? / twisted - split 7" OUT NOW!
Phoenix Ferret
Lord Of Emo

Postby Anna » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:31 pm

Matt wrote:
Mark Everclear wrote:it's been around since the 12th :p

Anna == pwned.

i know how long it's been available for, but every time i looked on the p2p networks i couldn't find it. if people want to get off my case about it... :roll:

Anna
Dum Dum

Next

Return to News and Announcements